A commercial architect must have that “special something” that turns an industrial building into a warm and inviting worship space. They must also have a thorough understanding of the laws and codes that go into a non-residential building.
Working with experienced commercial architects who are passionate about their pursuit of aesthetically brilliant churches will ensure that both you and your congregation are pleased with the final results.
What to Expect from Your Commercial Architect
Your architect will work with you every step of the way, from initial planning to ribbon-cutting. Some of their duties will include:
- Designing and planning blueprints
- Coordinating all contractors and subcontractors
- Working with you and other professionals to accomplish the goals set forth in the plans
- Assisting with inspections and coding approvals
Your commercial architect is also required to ensure that your church is safe for everyone who walks through its doors. During the design process, they will work with many other professionals who can help ensure that your requests can be met, while keeping each congregant and community member safe.
Finding a Commercial Architect
Ready to start your church construction, but not sure where to start? There are tons of resources, both personal and professional, that can help you find a commercial architect that meets your needs.
- Start with family and friends, especially those who have had commercial buildings built in the past. They can likely share a little bit about who they interviewed, who they chose, and why they made that decision.
- Use a directory site. The American Institute of Architects site allows you to search for architects by name, firm, chapter, or location.
- Find buildings you love around town. If you see another church that seems to fit into the vision you have for your own worship space, speak with church leaders about who they worked with. They can help point you in the right direction.
Of course, you could always work with Vanman Architects and Builders if you’re in the Minneapolis area. With over 60 years in the business, we understand the time, commitment, and art that goes into creating a church. We’d love for you to take a peek at some of the projects we’ve worked on in the past, or to get in touch with us to schedule a meeting to discuss your project.